Following the release of their 2016 debut album, Full Circle, the London-based group HÆLOS hit the tour circuit with full stride. They're just coming off the heels of an incredible U.S. tour that garnered critically acclaimed performances at major festivals such as SXSW and Coachella. Their melodic, dark pop sounds are as hauntingly beautiful as they are explosive and are winning over an army of critics and fans alike.
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/168285451" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Consisting of Arthur Delaney (vocals), Dom Goldsmith (vocals, production) and Lotti Benardout (vocals), the trio brings a multitude of ominous and enchanting sounds that blend seamlessly together. Their dark pop sounds takes a skillful approach to distinguish from other acts in the same vertical. In addition to their very well produced debut album, HÆLOS separates themselves from the rest of the pack with driven dedication to powerful live performances.
The rapturous debut album, Full Circle, perfectly executes musical progression in how it softly guides listeners through various realms of deep reflective tones while covertly building up to an explosive climax. The sincerity of their music is made evident through their humble beginnings. "This project began life in my bedroom and we were signed having never played live and, even after that, HÆLOS was primarily a studio based project where we concentrated huge emotional resource in making a record," described Goldsmith.
The captivating moments where HÆLOS hits the listener with an all-encompassing onslaught of sonic emotions is something that's very difficult to translate live, especially given the fact that many stages and venues have varying degrees of sounds and unique acoustics. But after seeing them perform at a small outdoor parking lot during SXSW, a tent stage at Coachella and the Brick & Mortar venue in San Francisco, I can confidently say that this group delivers a high-quality performance that not only justifies the emotional range of their music but also allows fans to connect with it on a deeper level.
"I suppose our motivation was quite simple: we wanted to feel something. For there to be a tangible energy onstage, one which intoxicated us to the point that by osmosis it got under the skin of people watching us." Goldsmith, HÆLOS
While onstage, the vocals from Delaney and Bernardout are both alluring as they are evocative. The various elegant keyboard and electronic drum & bass elements brought in by Goldsmith create an enticing melange of sonic undertones throughout each track. The oblivious listener is lured in early with gentle guitar riffs layered between various bursts of synths, while dual percussions secretly craft an onslaught of sound that eventually erupts with hard-hitting emotion.
"Bo Morgan and Martin Rooney (Drums and Perc) worked really hard with me on selecting the right shells and hardware to recreate the live drum sounds of the record and Daniel Vildósola is an unbelievable talent, able to play guitar and sampler at the same time." Goldsmith, HÆLOS
Powerful and seductive. The sound that comes from HÆLOS is only further complemented by their live performance and thus appeals to a multitude of fans across the musical spectrum. As they head back to Europe, we can expect the group to continue building upon their current momentum and provide even greater showmanship as they continue honing their craft.
Full 2016 tour dates:
- Fri, 3 June - Sun 5 June, Wychwood Festival - Cheltenham, UK Tickets
- Fri 1 July - Sat 2 July, PITCH Festival - Amsterdam, Netherlands Tickets
- Fri 1 July - Sat 16 July, Montreux Jazz Festival - Montreux, Switzerland Tickets
- Fri 15 July - Sun 17 July, Beat-Herder - Ribble Valley, UK Tickets
- Thu 21 July - Sun 24 July, Secret Garden Party - Huntingdon, UK Tickets
- Thu 28 July - Sun 31 July, Lollapalooza - Chicago, IL, US Tickets
- Fri 29 July - Sun 31 July, Osheaga Festival - Montreal, QC, Canada Tickets
- Fri 5 Aug - Sun 7 Aug, Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival - San Francisco, CA, US Tickets
- Thu 11 Aug - Sun 14 Aug, La Route Du Rock - Saint-Malo, France Tickets
- Thu 8 Sept - Sun 11 Sept, Bestival - Isle Of Wight, UK Tickets
- Thu 22 Sept, U Street Music Hall - Washington, DC, US Tickets
- Fri 30 Sept - Sun 2 Oct, Austin City Limits Music Festival - Austin, TX, US Tickets
- Fri 7 Oct - Sun 9 Oct, Austin City Limits Music Festival - Austin, TX, US Tickets