Sydney's Moon Holiday (aka that amazing vocalist who was featured on Flume's "Insane" a few years back) is today premiering a brand new tune with EARMILK called "Out of Bounds".
The track is a result of Moon Holiday teaming up with production duo Cliques (Seekae's George Nicholas & Hamish Dixon) to create a unique brand of electronic spaciousness that manifests as (un)conventional pop.
"Out of Bounds", according to Ward, is a true collaboration, where all three musicians found themselves playing around with their "favourite things about 'big pop' tracks without the pressure of actually trying to create one necessarily". Funny how things work out sometimes.
Both "ballad-inspired" and "full of space" with sparse instrumentation, the track is seemingly inspired by a multiplicity of things. We asked Moon Holiday what those things were. See her answers below.
1. Self-esteem - "This is the main theme of the track; being yourself. Breaking your own made-up rules to be true to what YOU believe"
2. Writing down and interpreting all my dreams - "I did this for weeks on a break between quitting my job and going back to uni full-time. I kept seeing this huge open field and I thought about that image while I was writing the track, which is so strange because I usually write sad songs"
3. George and Hamish - "My friends who I made this track with. George is in Seekae and they are both in Cliques but we all have quite a similar taste in music. Many YouTube tangents were followed in the studio ranging from old rave tracks and dancehall to naughty big hits. The production is a big part of why this track sounds so different, so that's thanks to them"
4. Singular performers - "Like Kate Bush or FKA Twigs or anyone whose voice takes centre stage when they perform"
5. Thinking about my own live performance - "And wanting to be free to sing without trying to recreate electronic elements live, to really embody what the song is about"
MOON HOLIDAY TOUR DATES
Fri Sept 9 | Rocket Bar & Rooftop, Adelaide w/ Moon Holiday, PON CHO + more TBA
Sat Sept 10 | Jack Rabbit Slim's Perth w/ Moon Holiday & Sid Pattni
Fri Sept 16 | Newtown Social Club, Sydney w/ Moon Holiday, Kimchi Princi & Unofficial: Chanel
Sat Sept 17 | Boney, Melbourne w/ HTMLflowers & Moon Holiday
Thu Sept 22 | The Foundry, Brisbane w/ Moon Holiday, REBEL YELL & Joshua Wells DJs