EDEN is a multi-instrumentalist, producer, songwriter and lyricist hailing from Dublin. The jack of all trades released a debut track "sex" two months ago that has already reached over 2.5 million plays. "sex" is the same track that caught Lorde's ear and motivated her to script a personal message to EDEN, which eventually led to a co-sign from the New Zealand youngin. Yesterday, EDEN dropped a video for his song "drugs" off his new EP and today, EDEN drops this synth heavy, emotive, pop yet rhythmic & rock alternative project, i think you think too much of me.
The lyrics for "drugs" prove that this song uses paraphernalia as a metaphorical representation. The feelings you feel when you're addicted to another person - you say shit you don't mean, you don't know how to control your emotions and know that you absolutely have no control over theirs. He matches the production to hit just as hard as the drugs and builds up the synths to then eventually explode within the soundscape. EDEN expresses his addiction to hurting in an extremely vulnerable manner.
"Cause I'm a fucking mess sometimes
But still I could always be
Whatever you wanted
But not what you needed
Especially when you been needing me
Cause I'm a fucking mess sometimes
And I'll say what I don't mean
Just cause I wanted
Or maybe I need it
Swear lying is the only rush I need"
But then you watch the video. My theory is that they are a married blissful couple when she gets sick with cancer. The only chance he has to make her smile through the sickness, is to provide the drugs she needs to ease the pain. Watch for yourself - the video is absolutely heart-wrenching.
The EP features melancholy songs like "and" which rely more heavily on EDEN's lyrics and vocal tone and don't feature too much production. Disc 1 continues with "rock + roll" which is more of an alternative blend of R&B/Soul & Rock N Roll. This song reminds me of a new version of the 90's rock that I cherished so deeply in my heart. A more wavy, soulful synth version of Incubus, if you will. The first track off Disc 2 of the EP features an artist hailing from LA, gnash. This track holds a gloomy undertone but the happy go lucky rock synths maintain an uplifting soundscape. Potentially my favorite track off the project is "XO" - which carries an acoustic R&B rhythm until these really airy and almost piercing synths make an appearance and blow your mind. This track especially seems like the most explicit of break up tracks - the electronic portions of this song are placed perfectly after he says it's over - which makes me think it sonically represents the relationship ending. The project finishes off with a track titled "Circles". The guitar in this track remind us of a Daughter + Kings Of Leon collaboration. This track hits as the hardest instrumentally with a dirty, heavy, raunchy soundscape under delicate, bone chilling vocals from EDEN.
The project has impressively already hit #1 on iTunes Alt Chart and is at #6 on Top Albums Chart! Don't sleep & catch him on tour next month!
- Sept 7 Vancouver, British Columbia @ Rio Theatre
- Sept 9 Seattle, WA @ The Crocodile
- Sept 11 Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
- Sept 14 San Francisco, CA @ Slim's
- Sept 16 Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey Theatre
- Sept 20 Scottsdale, AZ @ Pub Rock
- Sept 22 Austin, TX @ The Parish
- Sept 23 Dallas, TX @ House of Blues – Cambridge Room
- Sept 25 Houston, TX @ House of Blues – Bronze Peacock
- Sept 27 St. Louis, MO @ Firebird
- Sept 29 Minneapolis, MN @ 7th Street Entry
- Oct 1 Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall
- Oct 4 Toronto, Ontario @ The Mod Club Theatre
- Oct 5 Montreal, Quebec @ La Sala Rossa
- Oct 7 New York, NY @ Webster Hall
- Oct 10 Philadelphia, PA @ The Foundry at The Fillmore
- Oct 11 Cambridge, MA @ The Sinclair
- Oct 13 Washington, DC @ Rock & Roll Hotel
- Oct 14 Charlotte, NC @ Visulite Theatre
- Oct 15 Atlanta, GA @ Vinyl
- Oct 17 Jacksonville, FL @ Jack Rabbits Live
- Oct 20 Orlando, FL @ The Social
- Oct 21 Tampa, FL @ The Orpheum
- Oct 22 Fort Lauderdale, FL @ The Culture Room
EUROPEAN TOUR DATES
- Nov 15 Glasgow, UK @ King Tuts
- Nov 16 Manchester, UK @ Manchester Academy 3
- Nov 17 London, UK @ Dingwalls
- Nov 18 Dublin, IE @ The Academy
- Nov 20 Belfast, UK @ Oh Yeah
- Nov 22 Berlin, GE @ Prince Charles
- Nov 24 Amsterdam, NL @ Paradisco (Upstairs)
- Nov 25 Brussels, BE @ The Rotonde (Bontanique)
- Nov 26 Paris, FR @ Les Etoiles Theatre