2012-02-03T10:36:36+00:00 2012-02-03T11:00:04+00:00

M.I.A. – "Bad Girls" [Video]

International sensation, M.I.A, just recently released her new song called "Bad Girls". Now, she's just released the visual treatment which definitely lives up to the title. An appropriate alternate title would obviously be "Bad Bitches" but maybe that'll be next. One can't help but make a slight comparison to Kreayshawn's video when you see M.I.A. rolling down the street of her hood but the difference is, with this video, you get the sense that M.I.A. really grew up rough and stuff. She's one bad girl that's for sure. Although, at the same time, I'm probably reaching with that comparison just to fill up this space like a high school term paper. Enjoy.

Tags:
Pop

Comments

• DONT EVEN COMPARE KREASHAWN WITH M.I.A… SHE'S BEING DOING THIS "ROLLIN DOWN THE STREET SH!T" FOR THE PAST DECADE…. DO SOME RESEARCH MATE!

raw February 3, 2012 11:46 AM Reply
  • *SIGH* C’mon Earmilk, step up your research game.
    M.I.A. grew up in London and Sri Lanka, not in the Middle East. The video and song
    “Bad Girls” is making a political statement about the banning of female drivers
    in places like Saudi Arabia. So the hook “Live fast, die young, bad girls do it
    well” works on two levels: that girls should have the right to live as
    recklessly as the boys and that it’s dangerous to live as a girl in some parts
    of the world. “Bad Girls” is more about equality through swag than Kreashawn
    posturing.

choaffable February 3, 2012 4:59 PM Reply
    • Hrmm. Very good points. I apologize if the statement attached with the video gave the impression that we had no idea where she actually grew up. Re-reading the paragraph, to me, seems like the whole thing is written in a semi-serious tone with joke and facts all intertwined. Hopefully those who were offended are limited.

Anonymous February 3, 2012 5:55 PM Reply
    • Also, keep the criticism coming. We can take it.

Anonymous February 3, 2012 6:03 PM Reply
  • Ok, it's pretty fair to say that the term "Swagger" is official dead (read: murdered by over-use).

But fuck me if this video (and song) doesn't just exude swagger. Like, more swagger than every mainstream popular rapper combined.

Not swagger in the sense of being arrogant or basking in material wealth. But swagger in a "I'm-going-to-be-me, and-fuck-you-if-you-don't-like-it" kinda way.

Swagger aside, this song is a BANGER. Who'd imagine a 23 year old black male would be jamming out to a song called "Bad Girls."

No one on the corner has swagger like her, indeed!

PS: Anyone have any idea where this video was shot? I'm guessing in one of the more liberal areas. (The [U.A.] Emirates maybe?)

Jay February 4, 2012 4:08 PM Reply
    • the video was shot in Ouarzazat, Morocco.
      movies such as PrinceOfPersia / Babel were shot there too :)

Illmatics February 4, 2012 8:56 PM Reply