Skinny Pelembe has quickly established a reputation as an artist in a perpetual state of evolution. While the U.K. vocalist, producer, and guitarist has the chops to be able to stake his claim in any number of specific musical styles, he instead spends his time pushing the boundaries of sonic possibility. The latest example of his progressive approach comes with a new single for Brownswood Recordings entitled "My Love Is Burning, Up" which is a stunning re-work of his own tune "My Love is Burning, Down," from his debut album Dreaming is Dead. The new track arrives as Pelembe kicks off a U.K. tour that continues through October.
While the original song cultivated a fascinating, afrobeat-tinged musical universe in its own right, "My Love Is Burning, Up" gives the music new life with a swirling electronic twist and new, haunting vocals. The track is brief but speaks volumes of Pelembe's musical talents and shape shifting aesthetic. It seems that with each new release, his music gets increasingly difficult to categorize, which is a sure sign of an artist headed in the right direction.
Catch Skinny Pelembe on tour in the U.K. this October:
- 14 October: Metronome, Nottingham
- 15 October: The Hare & Hounds, Birmingham
- 16 October: Moth Club, London
- 17 October: Patterns, Brighton
- 19 October: Clwb Ifor Bach, Cardiff
- 20 October: Norwich Arts Centre, Norwich
- 23 October: Sneaky Pete's, Edinburgh
- 24 October: Whelans, Dublin
- 26 October: Belgrave Music Hall, Leeds