If you spent last weekend at Detroit's Movement Festival, you probably, at some point, stumbled your way into the consistently amazing Made in Detroit stage. On Sunday, the final day of the event, Detroit techno originator Kevin Saunderson didn't just headline the stage (b2b Seth Troxler) -- he also hosted a showcase of budding and classic dance music talent, called Origins.
We asked Kevin Saunderson and his son, Dantiez Saunderson (who played an afternoon set at the Origins stage), to share some of their favorite Detroit tracks. The result is 9 favorites from each, the perfect playlist for the continued treatment of your extended DEMF hangover.
Dantiez Saunderson's Picks
1. Pig & Dan - "Good Life" (Less Is More Remix)
Thumping, banging energetic take on the classic, perfect for the dance floor. Stays in rotation for me!
2. DJ Hell - "U Can Dance" (Carl Craig Remix V1)
Amazing production. One of those tunes that takes you for a journey from beginning to end.
3. Junior Boys - "Like A Child" (Carl Craig Tech House Remix)
Beautiful, uplifting, tropical vibes on this one, works for me!
4. Kevin Saunderson (Edancer) - "Velocity Funk"
Always was one of my favorites - remember jamming in the car to this often as a child.
5. Slam - "Dark Forces" (Kenny Larkin Remix)
Creepy and banging, got Motor City written all over it.
6. Presslaboys - "Unnopiuvoglia" (Anthony Attalla Remix)
Nice crossbreed between tech house and minimal sounds, straight groover.
7. Derrick May & System 7 - "I Travel" (Original Mix)
Dark funky builder, beautiful progressions in this one.
8. Juan Atkins & Kevin Saunderson - "Triangle Of Love"
CLASSIC! Amazing collaboration between the two Detroit legends.
9. Dantiez Saunderson & Bjelo - "Hi-Rise"
Dark, bangin' melodic techno groover, coming soon on Pig & Dan's label Elevate. Looking forward to release!
Kevin Saunderson's Picks