2011-08-12T09:55:59+00:00 2011-08-18T22:03:05+00:00

Top 10 Famous Faces of 2012 [Hip-Hop][#10]

Really hot thumbnail for this article post!

#10 Childish Gambino

Alright, Gambino is a mastermind. When we initially posted our introduction to Famous Faces we had a small list in our minds of who we figured would be a shoo-in and who would be in the lower rungs but maybe once, did our minds circulate upon Childish Gambino. The young renaissance man has so many projects on his plate he flies under my radar. So when a good portion of our initial comments said "Childish Gambino HAS to be on this list!" It caught me off guard, but also made me realize how incredibly dope he is. I went back and listened to his latest project EP. Then I listened to his older mixtape Cul de Sac, and even down his discography to his self-bastardized raw tape entitled The Younger I Get.

I honestly was digging his jams so hard I listened for hours. His earnest story telling is something I love, the fact that he's so raw with his emotions, he's frustrated with people telling him he "doesn't act black, whatever that means," and I thought he deserved higher on the list, and as much as I dug I unfortunately could only find very very small hints of his next project (supposedly entitled Camp. So I have absolutely no doubt he's a face to watch in 2012, especially with his Adidas ad placement, but he needed to leave me with more than small rumblings of an album to be considered a higher spot. Don't get me wrong though, "Freaks and Geeks" put him on a more up and coming/mainstream level and I think that, the release of EP, and the release of the single "Break (All of the Lights Remix)" gave people a taste of Gambino's matured sound and new found drive for his music career. Not too many notable names here as far as collabs and production, he does a great job picking though. Of course, stay on your toes for more tours including his already successful IAMDONALD tour.

Below is the infamous "Freaks and Geeks" visual coupled with tracks from EP, Cul de Sac and even younger projects; hopefully this gives those of you not familiar to the young prodigy of show business, a quick introduction to how his music has matured and will continue to surprise everyone in 2012. Now where's the debate going to start?! Somebody tell me I'm wrong for this.

Childish Gambino – Freaks and Geeks

Fuck It All
Download: Childish Gambino – Fuck It All

Be Alone
Download: Childish Gambino – Be Alone

Break (All of the Lights)
Download: Childish Gambino – Break (All of the Lights)

So, who should be on the rest of the list? Leave comments.

Follow me on Twitter at: @ThomasKWelker for more updates!

• Tyler, The Creator. Frank Ocean. The Weeknd. Earl Sweatshirt. Toony tunes. Zero Star. not sure if Quasimoto is new, but i'd like to see what he has to offer. After the Smoke.

random August 12, 2011 10:52 AM Reply
    • youre probably a faggot

Anonymous August 25, 2011 1:48 AM Reply
  • – Frank Ocean has been booming around the music world as easily one of the most favored Odd Future member next to Tyler The Creator.
    – Mac Miller has taken off. I remember waiting for K.I.D.S. to release and all my friends dissing him, now everyone is on Mac's dick.
    – Hoodie Allen. His mixtape, Pep Rally, really put him on the map and Leap Year has been a huge success for Hoodie, now he is on tour through the northern states and Canada. For an unsigned rapper he's extremely successful

Rex August 12, 2011 10:53 AM Reply
  • I feel like hoodies never gonna get that big. His mixtapes have been good, but nothing good enough to get him big, he needs a "So Far Gone" or a "Best Day Ever," which I don't think he's able to do. He's good, and I like his music, but he's not gonna be like big like Tyler, or Mac

Tucker August 12, 2011 11:05 AM Reply
  • i like how you started with one of his lyrics

justin August 12, 2011 11:26 AM Reply
  • Thomas, this is dope. Well done my friend. Can't wait to see Reh Dogg at number 1!

Ronnie August 12, 2011 11:44 AM Reply
  • definitely tyler and earl
    frank and the weekend are awesome too.
    put on casey veggies, kendrick lamar

OC August 12, 2011 11:48 AM Reply
  • kendrick lamar, tyler the creator, frank ocean, tiny tempah, j cole, drake, wale, ozzmak, lil b, chip da rippa, yellawolf, mgk, all the freshmen list, b.i.g. k.r.i.t

niki August 12, 2011 1:13 PM Reply
  • wow number 10? really? guy deserves a top 3 at least.

that guy August 12, 2011 1:43 PM Reply
  • this IS the guy from Community right?

dunceface August 12, 2011 2:27 PM Reply
  • The fuck is this music? If this is top ten I'm not really sure I'm gonna be checkin' the rest. This ain't no fuckin' hip hop.

The Fuck? August 12, 2011 3:58 PM Reply
  • WAX, Tyler the creator, Mellowhype.

ReptarDick August 12, 2011 6:33 PM Reply
  • Nonw of you dudes even mentioned chris webbie? All dude spits is str8 gas.

Wow August 13, 2011 12:59 AM Reply
  • fucking hypes on this website, lil b top 10? really? this is hip hop and Childish is the future so get with it and stop listening to that bullshit

Anonymous August 13, 2011 2:17 AM Reply
  • neither of them are new but check jazzy jeff and ayah's album Back For More, straight up soul food

chaz August 13, 2011 7:56 PM Reply
  • Meh, I like him better on Community. I spits about his dick, bitches, fame and fortune. Yea…groundbreaking.

Lurid August 13, 2011 8:27 PM Reply
  • One thing about Gambino I haven't seen a single person mention, he has the biggest lack of swag I have ever seen or heard. I'm not talking no gucci gucci/wonton soup swag i'm talking that Jay-z/Yeezy walk around and know you're a fuckin boss swag. This reminds me of that nerd in highschool who was pretty clever so could write nice lines but his mom bought his clothes for him and cried when the girl he liked didn't like him back. I'm not sure how he'll go in 2012 but for me, despite some nice lines. he's just childish.

Diaz August 14, 2011 1:35 AM Reply
  • Diaz
    One thing about Gambino I haven’t seen a single person mention, he has the biggest lack of swag I have ever seen or heard. I’m not talking no gucci gucci/wonton soup swag i’m talking that Jay-z/Yeezy walk around and know you’re a fuckin boss swag. This reminds me of that nerd in highschool who was pretty clever so could write nice lines but his mom bought his clothes for him and cried when the girl he liked didn’t like him back. I’m not sure how he’ll go in 2012 but for me, despite some nice lines. he’s just childish.

amen dude

Anonymous August 14, 2011 4:01 AM Reply
  • give credit where credit is due, there is a reason he is rapping and you are just commenting.

Anonymous August 14, 2011 1:38 PM Reply
  • RE:Diaz

Fair comment but it's also fair to say that Jay-Z has earned the right to 'have his swagger back'. He is a physical legend in the game, he's been around long enough and done a lot in that time. Kanye, all respect to him as an artist but he hasn't earned that legendary status..yet. That's what annoys Kanye the most i.e award ceremony's but on the plus side it will drive him to keep producing the likes of Watch The Throne and as he put it himself (in a round about way) 'Fuck with peoples heads when they listen to it'.

The likes of Gambino however are on a different level, how can someone new, fresh and up & coming give it the type of swag Jay-Z has? Their at complete different spectrum's in the industry. All respect to Gambino for 2 reasons, firstly, his music and 'nice lines' do him prejudice enough for him not to have to show everyone swag and who the boss is. His music good enough you can just listen to it. Secondly, he'd be a fool to walk around acting a boss when if 2012 comes along he still aint hitting the big time and being talked about, he would be a fool because his fame wouldn't have lasted 5mins. Nothing wrong with being humble and finding a persona and character in the music industry. When he grows up, after all he is Childish, he'll develop into someone who will be a boss. Just my 2 Pence.

Singhpin August 14, 2011 3:52 PM Reply