Scottish singer, songwriter, and composer Isobel Campbell is gearing up to bless us with her best work yet from her solo music career. Although it’s been over a decade since Campbell has released a solo album, her absence in addition to the major life changes she has encountered have sparked some of the freest, finest, and melodic music we are about to hear from the artist. To be released on the 31st of January 2020, the album There Is No Other highlights Campbell’s soft yet sobering voice intertwined with classical instruments and bittersweet lyrics that will fill your soul like no other album you’ve heard.
City of Angels
Runnin’ Down a Dream
The Heart of It All
The National Bird of India
Just for Today
See Your Face Again
Many of us were first introduced to Isobel when she was a member of the indie-pop band Belle & Sebastian at the age of 19. Since then, she has collaborated with several music legends including Mark Lanegan on the three albums Ballad of the Broken Seas, Sunday At Devil Dirt, and Hawk. However, in recent years, Campbell had been facing multiple battles in hopes of releasing the upcoming solo record. “It felt like I’d retired,” Campbell shares. “Or I was in prison. To be told I could not release the record completely broke me and I started questioning everything, feeling very reluctant and shying away from everything. But if you’re lucky to live long enough, there are always going to be peaks and troughs.”
Despite such trials, There Is No Other is cleared to be released at the top of next year and, just last month, Isobel dropped the video for “Ant Life” which the first single to be released from the new album. Isobel Campbell has also announced a series of live shows in the UK and around the rest of Europe in support of There Is No Other.
- 28 - Brudenell Social Club, Leeds UK
- 30 - Celtic Connections, Glasgow UK
- 31 - The Empire Music Hall, Belfast UK
- 01 - Liberty Hall, Dublin IE
- 02 - The Deaf Institute, Manchester UK
- 03 - Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool UK
- 05 - Komedia Studio, Bristol UK
- 07 - St Pancras Old Church, London UK (2 shows)
- 09 - Het Zonnehuis, Amsterdam NL
- 10 - Botanique, Brussels BE
- 11 - Café de La Danse, Paris FR
- 13 - Nochtspeicher, Hamburg DE
- 14 - Hotel Cecil, Copenhagen DK
- 16 - Privatclub, Berlin DE
Pre-order There Is No Other through Isobel Campbell’s official store here.