2013-06-10T11:00:21+00:00 2013-06-10T19:48:23+00:00

#Mashup Monday – Week 91

These are the mashes that are worth hearing, so stop your searching and instead settle down at your computer… turn up your speakers… and get ready for that sweet nectar that only EARMILK can give ya. Let's GO!

As mentioned in last week's edition, we begin with a mashup album that employs Bon Iver as the main central theme through its 11 tracks. Totaling slightly under 50 minutes, the masterminds behind B.I.M.A. – ToToMSpareElbowSkinFissunix, and DJ Colatron – do a superb job of mixing up the usage of Bon Iver samples so as not to make it predictable and monotonous. With other samples including Men At WorkLana Del ReySia, Florence and The Machine, Coldplay, and more, you're transported from sound to sound as tastefully as Bon Iver's self-titled sophomore album was amazing. While not every track is an absolute gem, some of my personal favorites include ToToM's light and fun "Short State + Long Dog = Minnesota", as well his wonderfully tranquil "Calgary Me", and Colatron's synth heavy "Une Bonne Erreur". Listen to all the tracks below, and grab the download here.

With B.I.M.A. out of the way, we turn our attention back to the single tracks that stood out. Starting us off is an interesting cover rendition of Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me A River" over Oliver's "Memories of the Future" as done by Monarchy. You may remember these guys from their take on Phoenix and Lana Del Rey a couple months back, but I'm not sure if this second cover is as strong as "Video Games" vs "Alive". But hey, they took a risk and it works, so for that effort I applaud them. Plus, if you can sing falsetto like that…well then you win in my book.

Another track that I enjoyed was Kasum's "Medicine Time" which made full use of Daughter's lovely "Medicine" as well as The Chainsmokers' remix of "Medicine". Add in Imagine Dragons "It's Time" and you're left with a suave and memorable mashup. Granted, Imagine Dragons' vocals didn't get off to the greatest of starts, Kasum smooths out that minor blip, and before you know it you're swept up in the rhythmic instrumental. I was a little surprised to hear the energy shift to a more energetic feel at the 3:30 mark seeing as the track had established itself as a quite relaxed mashup, but I wasn't overly turned off by the change.

Download: Kasum – Medicine Time (Daughter x The Chainsmokers x Imagine Dragons)

Many more tracks can be found below including from the likes of Ricky CervantesDJ Topsider, and Ryan Nellis. I quite like Nellis' combination of Santa Esmeralda and Yes, mainly because the quick tempo guitar strumming…reminds me of The Gypsy Kings (cough cough, someone should try to include them in a mashup). But I leave you to listening, as I prepare myself for hang-gliding. And as always, leave any track suggestions and your track preferences in the comments.

Download: Ryan Nellis – Owner of a Misunderstood Heart (Santa Esmeralda vs. Yes)

Download: Ricky Cervantes & Auxidental – TWRK MCHNE (UZ & CRNKN v. TWRK v. DJ SNAKE & ALESIA)

Download: DJ Topsider – Beach Cruiser (Rich Boy & Polow da Don x DOLĆE)

Download: DallasK vs. Calvin Harris & Ellie Goulding, Nicky Romero – I Need Your Alienz (Kastra Bootleg)

Download: Techie Mashups – High (Passion Pit x Cee Lo Green)

Download: sebwax – Never Gonna Leave A Lonely Boy (The Black Keys x SIA)

Download: Mr. Hemphill – Fucking Problems x Night Call (Kavinsky x A$AP Rocky x Drake x Kendrick Lamar x 2 Chainz)

Download: Korn vs. GTA – Fucking Got The Life (GTA Mashup)

Download: Lykke Li vs Christian Marchi – Let's fuck I follow rivers (GiObAT Mashup)

Download: HOHME – Reload the Sun (Savoy x Sebastian Ingrosso x Tommy Trash x Heather Bright)

Feature · Mash Up

• #Mashup Monday – Week 91: These are the mashes that are worth hearing, so stop your searching and instead sett… http://t.co/YfMXviT5rd

Andrew June 10, 2013 11:00 AM Reply
  • #Mashup Monday – Week 91 http://t.co/VcamXSoJoV

Edwin Matos June 10, 2013 11:00 AM Reply
  • what the fuck has someone done to my mashup!!!!!!!!!!!! They've killed it!!!!!!!!

lloyd June 10, 2013 11:04 AM Reply
    • Which one would that be?

ItsGutz June 10, 2013 11:26 AM Reply
      • Sample Gee – Let Me Clear Some Nights (Fun. x DJ Kool & Fatman Scoop) (04:25) the original is here… mine, without that stupid middle section dumped in there https://soundcloud.com/lloyd1972/some-nights-im-your-pusher-fun

lloyd June 10, 2013 1:03 PM Reply
      • So you're just gonna keep that track in your list??? it's been 6 hours surely that's time enough to remove it?? His track isn't actually a mushup without my track… its just let me clear my throat, he's done no work here at all.

lloyd June 10, 2013 5:42 PM Reply
        • Easy Lloyd. I can't say with definitive authority that Sample Gee blatantly took your mashup and copied it 100% (which he didn't since he added other aspects, as he is known to do). He used the same samples as you, which many mashup people do, but just on that fact alone I'm not going to remove it. If he had blatantly copied your entire mashup, then I'd certainly remove from list.

Guest June 10, 2013 6:15 PM Reply
          • Right let me point out what he has done then… i didnt just add Fun to
            Fatman Scoop and call it a mashup the whole instrumental section of that
            track was built by me, most people just think it's the original FMS
            instrumental but it isn't, it's much more beefed up with added kicks and
            a better bassline Fun sample was pitched by me the track hasnt been
            copied he has just used my track, I wouldnt care if he'd remade my track
            badly but he's not done that, he's added an intro and an outro badly
            and then just put the a whole section of DJ Kool in the middle of the
            track. he's mashed nothing at all… beleive me I've also mashed that DJ
            Kool track… to put this track in your list and to add credibility to a
            thief is just incredible… and to tell me you can't say with
            definitive authority is just laughable… im not asking you to say, I'm
            telling you I built that instrumetal I added the fun vocal I also added
            the fatman scoop vocal.. all he's done is chop out the ice-T section
            (he's cut those out badly as well). adding an intro and an outro is not
            making a mashup… or maybe you like the middle section in which case
            why not just post – DJ Kool's let me clear my throat (old school reunion

lloyd June 10, 2013 7:01 PM Reply
            • Lloyd, email me. I'd be more than happy to further discuss this with you. I certainly don't want to infringe on what you believe, but I'd like to chat with your further before making an ultimate decision. Email: nicolas@earmilk.com

Guest June 10, 2013 7:09 PM Reply
  • RT @djmatos: #Mashup Monday – Week 91 http://t.co/VcamXSoJoV

@ElPibeElectronico June 10, 2013 11:07 AM Reply
  • Solid post this week. Is "Disintegration Around The World" in the right spot? I didn't hear any Timberlake samples in that one. Kinda bummed how Mr. Hemphill's mashup turned out, that combination has so much potential.

Skooter June 10, 2013 1:38 PM Reply
    • http://soundcloud.com/mrhemphill/fucking-problems-x-night-call I intended for this version to be posted. I don't know if that makes it any better.

Mr Hemphill June 10, 2013 2:04 PM Reply
      • I can still hear the production from Fucking Problems which clashes with Nightcall unfortunately. I'm nitpicking though so don't mind me, I wouldn't doubt it's hard to find a clean acapella of Fucking Problems. Solid effort regardless!

Skooter June 10, 2013 2:14 PM Reply
    • I had accidentally embedded the wrong track. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
      In regards to Mr. Hemphill's mashup, I agree, the potential was there and it was certainly going on the right track but the production clashes at times. Regardless, it was necessary to commend Mr. Hemphill with his attempt, and maybe he'll be able to provide a cleaner mashup in the future :)

ItsGutz June 17, 2013 7:32 PM Reply
  • RT @earmilkdotcom: #EARMILK : #Mashup Monday – Week 91 – http://t.co/OTi42JNsZv

Ryan Nellis Mashups June 10, 2013 3:52 PM Reply
  • another addition of #Mashup Monday :) – Week 91 – http://t.co/gptByvVlU5 http://t.co/vWQwQ8zdJW via @earmilkdotcom

juhan June 10, 2013 4:01 PM Reply
  • He was on a roll! for a few weeks I couldn't believe he strung so many articles in a row! And now he's disappeared! Where you at Nicolas Gutierrez!?

just a guy July 16, 2013 2:08 PM Reply
  • It always astounds me when bootleggers complain about someone bootlegging them. I've been in touch with Lloyd and have happily credited his work. It was in no way a straight copy, I sampled his work just as he did with Ice T and Fun.

Sample Gee August 4, 2013 11:56 AM Reply