Apologies to everyone not making the week long trip to Austin next week. The internet will be spammed with hash-tags of SXSW containing details of all the wild parties happening right then and there. Your feed on instagram is going to be filled with live bands, open bars, and taco porn. Feelings of missing out is going to be overwhelming but no need to fear, we'll be on location for you to live vicariously through.
If you haven't heard about SXSW, the letters are short for South By South West, and it is a massive festival held in Texas once a year. Starting on March 8th with the film and interactive aspects of the festival, music begins on March 12th till the 17th. That's right, this is not a 2 or 3 but a 5 day festival. The annual SXSW lasts 5 entire days from morning showcases to late night DJ sets. This will be my first time attending and honestly, I am a little scared of what my body condition will be after just day one. Some major headliners are Iggy and The Stooges, Snoop Lion, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Kendrick Lamar, Ghostface, The Zombies, and my most anticipated event, 50 cent will be discussing his upcoming album on Saturday, 16th at the Austin Convention Center.
Besides hosting this incredible lineup, SXSW is also notorious for having multiple parties scattered through Austin that's all within walking distance. These parties are all sponsored by some sort of booze and food with free entry if you RSVP beforehand. That, my friend, is probably what I am most afraid of. Who doesn't want to take advantage networking with free tacos and beers? Let's all take a second to warn your physical health right now. Sorry, body.
For everyone not attending the festival, you can follow my SXSW adventures. I will be forcing myself and trying my best to update you with the morning (most likely noon) after reviews of whatever I experienced the day before. There will be a series of "SXSW- March,12th,2013 [Day 1 Review]" to "SXSW – March, 17th, 2013 [Day 5 Review]". Key words here are, "trying my best" to do this.
For everyone attending SXSW this year, I've compiled a list of showcases for you to check out. This also serves as my personal list so if you want to URL to IRL , tweet at me (@banacrisp). The entire schedule of SXSW is on their website if you want to look further.
- Live For The Funk @ Joie De Vie – Ryan Hemsworth, Samo Sound Boy, and Ratking (Free booze). RSVP HERE.
- Body High @ Speakeasy- DJ Uniique, DJ Dodger Stadium and Myrryrs. RSVP HERE.
- #MEGABLAAG and Ex.fm @Empire Control Room- Autre Ne Veut and Jerome LOL. RSVP HERE.
- Pretty Much Amazing and Danger Village @ Empire Control Room – MØ, and Empress Of. RSVP HERE, but not needed.
- Small Plates, Gold Robot and Father/Daughter Records @ The Grackle – Gracie, Day Joy, Francisco The man, and Monster Rally. RSVP HERE.
- The Windish Agency @ House of Vans – Doldrums, Austra, Toro y Moi and Alt J. RSVP HERE.
- Luckyme and Yourstru.ly @ Downtown Austin – Baaur, Just Blaze, And Obey City. RSVP HERE.
- Stereogum @ Hype Hotel – Sky Ferreira, Youth Lagoon, Kitty and Lakutis (Free Taco Bell). RSVP HERE.
- Viceland @ 4o1 E. Cesar Chavez – Action Bronson, Kendrick Lamar, Trinidad James and Black Lips. RSVP HERE.
- Mass Appeal @ Austin Music Hall – Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown, Joey Badass and ASAP Ferg (Free ice cream). RSVP HERE.