2013-01-16T17:31:52+00:00 2013-01-23T15:24:35+00:00

Wobble Wednesday [Week 1]

Wobble Wednesday Version 4.0 is about to kick off, but first I think we need to have a discussion on what to expect for the weeks and wobbles to come. I wanted to elaborate on the history of this beautiful sound, but Crimestein did a wonderful job with his Dubstep 101 article in 2011. Instead, I’ll share a few classics, my all-time favorite, and some new bangers.

For all you history buffs, check out the Ishkur’s Guide to Electronic Music and MixMag’s Dubstep Family Tree for a little more insight into the birth and development of the genre.

Before we get to the music, I’ll explain the layout: Each track has a piece of info describing the sound. Some have a separate piece outlining the artist and what to expect from their previous work (if you’ve never heard them before). The end of each post will have a series of mixes I’ve listened to over the week that I think you’ll enjoy, and artists I think you should be on the lookout for. For now, enjoy the slew of tunes I’ve provided below and I’ll rant later.

On a different note, the beautiful thing about living in California is the endless amount of music I’m subjected to on a daily basis. Local events and rising artists/collaborations are aplenty. I’m always looking for shows to attend and new talent to interview, so feel free to join the discussion and share your suggestions! This is a judgment free zone!

Send me your tracks, mixes, suggestions, local event info, etc. on Twitter at @BeerCanDid or below in the comments.

Peace and Good Vibes!

HISTORY LESSON (you'll need a sub for these, or a great set of head cans)

Wookie – Battle (S2SP 001, 2000)

(P.S. If you hold down the Left and Up arrows, you can play Snake while you wait for this video to load. Works for any YouTube video!)

Horsepower Productions - Fist of Fury

(TEMPA 005, 2001)

Skream - Midnight Request Line

(TEMPA 014, 2005)

Stream: Loefah – Goat Stare

(DMZ 006, 2005)

Kode9 + Spaceape - 9 Samurai

(Backward / 9 Samurai, 2006)

Benga & Coki - Night (Original)

(TEMPA 030, 2007)

Stream: Skream – Rimz

(Skreamizm Vol: V, 2008)

Dark, heavy, and grimy in all the right places. Opens up with a few tinks on the hihats and drops into a low-end bass vortex. Truly one for the books.

Dark, slow, heavy interspersed with vocals. Reminds me of Commodo’s darker tracks.

These two tracks have similar weight as FNC, but with a groovier feel. They would pair nicely with FNC and Paloma Faith in a mix.

More of a robotic type of heavy, while retaining focus on the low-end.

Stream: Starkey – Neck Snap

Smooth, jazzy, light without neglecting the low-end. Beautiful baby-making purple tune right here.

Glitchy, trippy, trappy. First thing that comes to mind is Trap meets Purple. This would go great in any trap set, and I encourage you to do so. Spread the Good Word of Purp!

Deep, dark, crunchy, pretty much a mirror image of Joker’s style without infringing in any way. A truly beautiful track.

Stream: Wiley – Step 18 Freestyle (Produced By Flava D)

Heavy and dirty with verses from the UK’s own Wiley. Known as the king of free music, he has given us a track to rinse in the dirtiest of situations.

Sir Spyro ft. Footsie - Night Shift

Skanky, dark, and grimy. Rinse.FM’s Sir Spyro teamed up with MC Footsie to bang out this massive track.

Now this is some REAL funky shit! Carnival-esque and filthy thrown in a blender with video game sounds and robots.

These two have really outdone themselves this time. Heavy hitting and robotic, just like Papa Skrill taught. Truly a banger for those who love the sound.

Dark, tribal, heavy. Beautiful, almost Gregorian backing vocals add to the darkness and created a mood for any Calyx, Teebee, or Metalheadz fan. Be on the lookout for more from these guys.

Stream: Computer Club + Must Die! – Win Or Lose (ft. Anna Yvette)

Liquid, banger, vocal

Tribal, chill, heady. This track is part of their recent Safari EP.

I am a diehard Sub Focus fan, and this track has it all: kickin’ drums, punchy synths, soulful vocals, and even a cute girl in the music video! This would go well as either a mid-set drop or a background work tune.

I had the privilege of knowing Luke in college, and he is one of the chillest dudes around. Everything this kid produces is pure gold. He manages to transform each genre into his own style. This trap track is no exception.

Whooping synths and heavy bass, everything the trap needs!

1.Perverse – Epidemic
2.Catacombs & Knowledge – Exodus
3.Kelly Dean – Columns (SMOG DUB)
4.Mesck & Deafblind – Strife (DUB)
5.Juss B – Concentration
6.Chad DUbz – Fatality (DUB)
7.Standard Procedure – Dusk (Disonata Remix) (DUB)
8.The Argonauts – Sendout
9.Biome – Formation
10.Core – Bassmental
11.EshOne – Search Party (DUB)
12.LX ONE – On My Own
13.Telzar – Untitled (DUB)
14.Razor Rekta – Bang Ya Door
15.Standard Procedure – Shadows (DUB)
16.Badklatt – Iron Eyes
17.Chad Dubz – System (DUB)
18.TLZR – Depth Perception (DUB)
19.Mesck – No Shelter (DUB)
20.Sleeper – Zodiac
21.Youngsta – Destruction

INTERLUDE 002 KEN EVIL by Ashes57 on Mixcloud

• i used to look forward to wobble wednesdays and filthy fridays but u made the mistake of stoping filthy fridays and wobble wednesdays have gone downhill ever since the site was updated bring back filthy fridays the people need more filth

willy wompa January 16, 2013 7:02 PM Reply
    • still love earmilk, but kinda agree. needs more filth.

Senator Palantine February 2, 2013 8:42 AM Reply
  • …Not sure what's up with all the streams. Most of these songs were downloadable on past Earmilk posts… I look forward to finding and downloading new songs, not just hearing them. If I wanted "classics", I'd just listen to skream and benga's essential mixes–or the billion other "essential" lists out there. I hate to be so blunt about it, considering i've followed Wobble Wednesdays for a while now… But seriously?! Pick up the slack guys–first, incredibly long wait, and now re-posts of generic songs–and hardly any downloads? I appreciate the effort, but I expected more from a super-site like earmilk.

God_nbd January 16, 2013 9:36 PM Reply
    • We're moving in a direction of being a more professional publication, which means not offering up swarths of free downloads without a label or artist's permission.

Alyce January 17, 2013 4:52 PM Reply
      • We are the readers and we don't like it

Croydon January 18, 2013 4:20 AM Reply
      • What direction would that be? Take a month break in between Wobble Wednesday, then have all the songs be utter shit (a matter of opinion, but the right one), then you can only stream these utter shit songs (thank God, no one wants to download this garbage).

I have been coming to this site years before you redid it. I know you guys are trying to be more mainstream with the whole "not offering up swarths of free downloads without a label or artist's permission.", but thats what we're here for. If I wanted to stream shit, there are tons of much better sites that can do that.

Now I understand you could give two shits what I think. In the end its all about traffic to your site = $$$. Good luck with that.

Peterjohnsonlawl January 18, 2013 8:50 PM Reply
        • The sad truth of the matter is that when your site gets bigs enough, labels take notice, and you can either work with them to provide select downloads or post their stuff and make them hate you (and in addition, send you takedown notices that could lead to legal trouble). Instead of complaining about not having a pile of free music to download, go support an artist! Or go spend an extra 5 minutes to download it yourself.

Alyce January 18, 2013 8:53 PM Reply
          • All valid points–Newest post was significantly better. Cheers!

God_nbd January 27, 2013 5:12 PM Reply
  • If this is the new Wobble Wednesdays, then I think I'm going to have to find a different way to find new music.

Jewtastic January 16, 2013 11:22 PM Reply
  • I enjoy the old tracks, maybe with every post you can have like a revival section, where you post a few old tunes.

Herder January 16, 2013 11:38 PM Reply
  • haha these comments are great…if earmilk is moving with the times you know the bleeding edge has moved on ages ago and filth has reached critcal mass…theres only so many sports and energy drink ads that this genre can take

willywompa2:wompaharder January 17, 2013 4:24 AM Reply
  • I've been on earmilk for a long time and understand that there are many different styles of "dubstep" but come on… If you want to appeal to the minority of people then go ahead and post old tunes and chill down tempo stuff, but if you want to appeal to the majority I would suggest posting new, inventive, unique, and experimental stuff. Which I honestly think this whole genre is about and what most people want to hear. I still love earmilk as a whole though.

Scott January 17, 2013 11:12 PM Reply
  • more brostep and trap please

oliver January 17, 2013 11:13 PM Reply
  • yeah… not digging it so much. i preferred listening to the chill of the old Wobble Wednesday.

retscene January 18, 2013 1:49 PM Reply