2010-03-18T17:57:37+00:00 2010-03-20T11:30:04+00:00

Rest In Peace Nujabes (1974-2010)

It's with a heavy heart that I have to write that Jun Seba a.k.a Nujabes has passed away and has left many fans, including myself, with an empty void left to be filled. It was announced just today but apparently Jun was in a fatal car crash on February 26 and his family had a private burial which is why its only today that it has been confirmed. His death was confirmed by his long time friend Shin02 and he had this to say:

Through his soulful music, Nujabes has touched so many people around the world, even beyond his dreams. He was a mysterious character to most as he avoided the public limelight, rarely conducted interviews, so only a few got to know the man behind the signature production. Yet it continued to amaze me how young listeners of all backgrounds learned of his enigmatic name, and expressed support for his music.

I never got to see Nujabes live but i've been a fan of his music for quite a while ever since I heard some of his production in Samurai Champloo. Jun's production skills are unmatched and you can instantly recognize a Nujabes beat even if you hadn't heard a track of his before. He was one of the first producers that I felt mixed Jazz perfectly with Hip-Hop because it had been done before but no one has or ever will do it as well as Jun and he's one of the main reasons I got into chill/lounge hip-hop beats in the first place. Nujabes died February 26, 2010 and he was 36 years old. Here are some of my favorite tracks posted below please give them a listen even if this is the first time you've been introduced to the genius that is Nujabes.

Download: Nujabes – Another Reflection

02 - Sky Is Falling (Feat. C.L. Smooth)
Download: Nujabes – Sky Is Falling (Feat. C.L. Smooth)

12 - Sea Of Cloud
Download: Nujabes – Sea Of Cloud

01 - Feather (ft. Cise Starr & Akin From Cyne)
Download: Nujabes – Feather (ft. Cise Starr & Akin From CYNE)

06 - Luv(Sic)(Shing 02)
Download: Nujabes – Luv(Sic) Ft. Shing02

14 - After Hanabi (Listen To My Beat)
Download: Nujabes – After Hanabi (Listen To My Beat)

Shing02 Paying Tribute

Experimental · Hip-Hop · Jazz

• Nujabes was one of the last bastions of true hip hop soul, his music gave me hope that there's still people out there who actually gave a damn about the quality of the music and was always striving to put the music first and the man second. I always felt as if he was the Japanese analogue to J. Dilla and now the world has lost both of them. Rest in Peace, Nujabes your music lives on and keeps me looking at a brighter future for hip hop.

AJcity March 18, 2010 6:05 PM Reply
  • I was just listening to Flowers the other day, hoping to hear another Album from Nujabes. Here's to giving him the flowers he deserves…

RIP Nujabes, your music will live on and inspire all those who have had the pleasure of experiencing it.

Ian Mitchell March 18, 2010 6:16 PM Reply
  • Man.. Im not making this up, I was just listening to Luv(sic.) modal soul remix by Shing02, when I opened my feed reader and read this.
    nujabes produced the kind of tracks that truly lift me up and carry me away. things i cant say about too many artists. now i will try even harder to push his work out to more people. the world has to recognize this genious.

Jan March 18, 2010 9:38 PM Reply
  • That's hard to hear… His Ristorante Mixtape was without compare. I viewed him as an immutable force in the Jazz/Hip-Hop world, a view now obviously shattered.

The world of music has lost another great. RIP.

Leland March 18, 2010 11:00 PM Reply
  • <3 Leland

itstk March 18, 2010 11:33 PM Reply
  • Yeah, this is a definite shame. One of the best producers for real! Just something about his beats man, just transcends and takes you to another level. One of my favorite tracks is "Feather" with Cise Star and Akin of CYNE…that track is wow..RIP Nujabes, definitely was one of a kind, Hip Hop really lost one of its brightest stars

Zulu March 20, 2010 3:03 AM Reply
  • music is timeless.. his music and soul lives on. in peace, rest, 瀬場 潤

organics March 20, 2010 7:57 AM Reply
  • Requiescat In Pace !!

pR! March 20, 2010 7:01 PM Reply
  • his music was allways touching to me it breaks my heart to hear this news

kyle March 21, 2010 4:18 AM Reply
  • I agree with AJcity. The US had J-Dilla, Japan had Nujabes. Nujabes is one of my all time favs, and I'll always remember him so. Not a day goes by when I don't at least listen to a track or two of his, let alone the whole discography. His music was the soundtrack to a very exciting time of my life, and helps inspire me in my art. He will be missed.

CharlieD March 22, 2010 3:13 PM Reply
  • shattered. R.I.P biggest loss to hip hop since Dilla

jeremy m April 3, 2010 12:59 PM Reply
  • His music really hits on your emotions.

Leeman November 17, 2010 3:01 PM Reply